TN Residents Sales Person
Tennessee Real Estate License Requirements:
- Be a citizen of the United States or a lawfully admitted alien
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Complete your required pre-licensing education
- Pass your licensing exam
How to get your Real Estate License in Tennessee
- Complete your real estate pre-licensing education of 90 hours:
- 60 of those hours must cover the topic of real estate principles/fundamentals and must be completed in order to qualify to take the licensing exam with PSI.
- The remaining 30 hour course for new affiliates must be completed before a license will be issued.
- Take the Tennessee Real Estate Exam:
- Register on the PSI TN Real Estate page.
- It consists of 120 questions. This includes 80 for the National section and 40 for the State section.
- You will have 240 minutes (4 hours) to complete the entire exam.
- Immediately after, you will receive a scoring document that states whether you passed or failed.
- Upon successful completion of the examination, you should get your application photo taken at the testing center.
- Complete fingerprinting and background check
- Obtain errors and omissions insurance
- Apply for your Tennessee affiliated broker’s license:
- You will need to apply on the TN Comprehensive Online Regulatory & Enforcement System (CORE) page within 6 months of passing the state exam.
- Must include your license application with your photo, diploma or other proof of high school graduation or equivalent, proof that you have satisfactorily completed the 30 hour course for new affiliates, proof of your errors and omissions insurance policy, and proof that you have had your fingerprints done and submitted through IndentoGo.
- Application review
- This process should take between 20 days (due to delays).
- You will receive an email from TREC with a license document.
- Real Estate License Sponsorship
- When you receive your initial Real Estate License in Tennessee, your license will be in an “inactive” status. This means that you cannot transact real estate yet.
- In order to “activate” your license, you will need to be sponsored by a licensed real estate broker in Tennessee.
- If you already have a broker in mind or have an agreement with a real estate company, you can apply for sponsorship on the TREC Core website and fill out the Designate Principal Broker Form.
We encourage our agents to make a scanned copy to have with you. We also advise you to email this to the MREC Coordinator and let them know it has been mailed. Finally, we advise our agents to mail the paperwork with the signature required and a tracking number.
PSI Requirements: Click Here
Locations for getting your fingerprints for TN: Click Here
MAAR Membership Packet: Click Here
The following is another location in TN that also does fingerprints, notarization, and passport-style photos (just make sure to note profile and front of face)! You will need to call ahead of time to schedule: Click Here
When do I contact the Association of REALTORS?
You contact MAAR after TREC has congratulated you on the completion of your license.